Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Being Nice

Yesterday afternoon I left the office early to meet with my new manager Heidi to discuss my schedule and pick up my check. What I find is chaos with people everywhere including some of the servers either painting, hanging curtains, signmakers hanging up our new sign and Heidi on the phone with tech support to get the new computers up and running. 

Since I have to wait until Lenny works his magic to fetch my check I help the gang with moving all the chairs outside. After we are done with organizing the heavy chairs outside we all mill about waiting to get our tip checks from the weekend. 

"So Jen, you said you've been here since 10 A.M., are they paying you?" I ask.

"No, I'm just doing it to be nice." Jen  replys. 

"Well being nice doesn't pay the bills"

"Well when I used to work for Tom, I know he really does appreciate it even though he doesn't quite show it, he'll definitely remember."

"Really?, is that why he fired you?" I say.

"Shut up!" As she says this she turns on her heel  and whips me with her ponytail in the face. 

Jen once worked at Theo's with Tom and he fired her for reasons I'm not quite sure of. I hope for her sake he appreciates her pro bono work. I would've happily done some free work if they had provided some food from the new menu like they had planned. Since they aren't then I'm not available for free work period.
BitchyWaitress

No comments: