Friday, January 18, 2008

Disaster

Opening night at the Crab House was in one word a disaster. It started off where we all (servers) had to arrive at 3 PM to start setting up for our 5 PM opening. They didn't feed us which was shitty since it was our first night. It was only sign number one of the hellish night we all had in store for us.

So our first seating goes off without a hitch despite the myriad of screens one must maneuver for placing just one order. It was very time consuming for each server. Now here's the best part, we only had convenient access to only two computers with 12 servers! So naturally, when they started taking in all the 7 o' clock customers for our second seating the computers crashed and so did our confidence, tips and ultimately our service. 

The kitchen was basically at a stand still. There were so many servers waiting for their food that it was a complete cluster fuck for a solid 3 hours. Five tables walk out, customers are served the wrong entrees, customers at the bar are getting antsy for their drinks, the head chef walks out during crunch time to get his head together. It was quite possibly the worst opening I've experienced as a server. The lines to use the computer was just ridiculous. 

It used to be so much easier the way we had before. I sure hope things do get better. I pray that they get their heads out of their asses and realize how inefficient their system is for the servers and the back of the house. I'm afraid what Gordon Ramsey would have said if he could've witnessed the sheer ridiculousness of the "new system". I think they should have waited a few more days to iron out the kinks and do a test run with the new computer. 

I'm exhausted and am in much need of an alcoholic beverage. My hopefulness and excitement I had before has dwindled into confusion. Maybe tomorrow will be better...I pray for my sanity it does.
BitchyWaitress

No comments: